Whether you are newly engaged or have been into the wedding planning process for a while there comes a point where you need to get your wedding photographer booked. Here are 5 things that will help your decision.
1. Wedding photographers book up fast! Before falling in love with a photographer’s work, check to make sure that they are available for the date that you have chosen. It’s not uncommon for dates to be booked a year to a year and a half in advance or even more for popular dates.
2. Make sure that you like the photographer’s style. Take time to look through a photographer’s website as well as any sample albums/books that they can share with you. You will see a wide variety of images but also should be able to recognize a trend in the way that their images look. Don’t expect the photographer to be able to change this for you, this is how they shoot and you should make sure that you enjoy their style of photography.
3. If you want amazing wedding images you need to plan time for them. Everyone wants incredible wedding photos but many times they don’t just happen, they need to be planned and mapped out with coordination between the wedding couple and the photographer. It’s an exciting and nerve wracking day and the clearer you can make the plan, the easier it will be for all involved.
4. Photographers can offer great advice! Photographers have a unique perspective as they typically shoot one to two weddings every weekend. They get to see many venues, meet with many people and can offer you valuable insight that can help your wedding day be even more special. Don’t be afraid to ask them about more than just photography!
5. Make sure your personalities match. This might seem obvious, but a photographer is going to be as close to you as anyone throughout your wedding day. You should make sure that you enjoy their company. A photographer may be able to take amazing photos but if they are bossy or impolite they can be a distraction not only to you but to your guests.